Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter youtube rss

Author Topic: September Story Showdown  (Read 8949 times)

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile
September Story Showdown
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:59:32 AM »
The September Story Showdown

Do you like to write?

Do you want a chance to win up to
$100,000
(in-game money)

Here's what you need to do:
1. Pick up a FREE Book and Quill at /t spawn iridia.
2. Write the greatest story ever.
3. Place your signed submission in the submission hopper.

Then tell everyone you know, in Minecraft and in real life, to vote for your book online starting September 20.  The book with the most votes by the end of the month wins the contest and the grand prize!

You can view all current submissions, and vote for your favorites starting September 20th, at www.iridia.org

Tips:

• Get a free official rulebook also at /t spawn iridia!
  • The prize increases by $1000 for each book entered, so encourage other player's to enter the contest.  Spread the word and the prize goes up!
  • Voting opens September 20.  While I will be accepting submissions up until the end of the month, it would be best for you to have the book ready before voting opens to maximize the amount of time your book is in the running.
  • Voters are not restricted to SentinelCraft players, so share with your friends and family as well!  There are buttons below each book to share a link on Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus.  The shared link will take readers directly to that specific book, not just to the contest page.
  • Books listed in blue on the site are entered as Exhibition, and cannot be voted for.  This includes the rulebook, a book on SentinelCraft, and my own personal submission (coming soon).
  • If you have any questions or comments, post to this thread and I'll try to answer them all!
  • If you want to see the prize, head to /t spawn iridia and find the golden book (it's behind the building on the right, along Book Road).  The entire possible prize, all $100,000, is stored in a sign on the golden book.

May the words be ever in your favor!
     gfrung4

Official Rules
Revised 09/02/15

The September Story Showdown is a book writing competition with a grand prize of up to $100,000 in-game money on the SentinelCraft Minecraft server.  Entries will be accepted during the entire month of September.  All SentinelCraft players are eligible to enter a book into the contest regardless of rank, including staff and the owner.

The book must be written in Minecraft.  There is no specified theme, the book can be fiction or non-fiction, about Minecraft, Sentinel, or none of those things.

To write your book, get a FREE book and quill from the dispenser in Iridia (use the command /t spawn iridia).  The dispenser will remain available for the duration of the contest.  Write your book, sign it, and deposit it into the submission hopper.  Your book will be entered into the contest the next time I come online and check the submissions.

The final submission must be a signed book, not a book and quill.  The prize will be given to the entrant listed as the author of the winning book.  Winnings will not be divided.  Entries must be marked original; copies will not be accepted.

The prize will be equal to $1000 for each submission received plus an additional $100 for each vote cast, up to a $100,000 maximum.  Any other players who wish to raise the stakes can add to the winnings by donating their own in-game money.  If you'd like to donate, speak with gfrung4 in-game.

The winner will be decided by popular vote.  Voting will be conducted online at iridia.org.  One vote per internet connection.  Anyone can vote, even people who don't play on the server, or don't play Minecraft at all.  Writing is an art form that can be appreciated by everyone, not just those who play Minecraft, so share with your family and friends!

Voting opens at 12:00 midnight on September 20, and closes at 12:00 midnight on October 1.  The time zone of the contest is US Eastern Time.  The winner will be announced after voting closes at the end of the month.

The book must represent your original work.  Copying from the internet or other sources is not permitted, and books found to be plagiarized will be disqualified.  All entries must be in English, since this is an English speaking community.

The rules listed here may change at any time without warning, and gfrung4 is the final judge of the contest.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:41:47 PM by gfrung4 »

Devereux

• Not Shadow
  • Livin' like Larry!
    • View Profile
Re: September Story Showdown
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
Question? What if it was my story that I uploaded to the internet?

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
Question? What if it was my story that I uploaded to the internet?

As long as the story is your original work, it can be entered.  Since its on the Internet, you should probably point me to it and in some way show that it is indeed yours.  If you use the same username (Spooky) on the site where the story is uploaded, that would be plenty.  If not, message me and I'll think of something.

The book does have to be a Minecraft book, so you'll have to put it in-game.  You can copy/paste into books, so it isn't that hard, but realize that there is a 50 page / 256 characters per page limit, so if your story is long it may have to be adapted to fit into Minecraft.

I'd love to read the story though, you should totally share it!

The Carrot

• Queen of the Ducks
  • Owner
  • While there is life there is hope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »
I like this.
I've always wanted to write something creepy, I just felt lazy but you gave me a reason so yay.

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
I already have a book going around the server for a year. It's a poem, not a story though.
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.

NadaCookie

• Donator
  • ʕ-ᴥ-ʔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:47:37 PM »
I already have a book going around the server for a year. It's a poem, not a story though.
Is it the 'Love....' thingy?

IGN: Nekoreos

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
Is it the 'Love....' thingy?

Yes, lol.

http://sentinelcraft.net/forum/index.php?topic=1056.msg7004#msg7004
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
Judith
by Pauizz

has been entered into the contest!

Click to read on!

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »

You are welcome to submit it (poems are acceptable), but you may not want to because all submissions must be the original copy, so you'd have to give away the original (or retype it).  Also, all submissions will be copied and offered for free for the duration of the contest.  Since you seem to be selling yours for $5000 a copy, that wouldn't work too well...

You could always write something totally new to enter!

AbdullahTrees

• Donator
  • I was planted in 1321.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »
Awesome idea gfrung!!! :D I like it, writing a epic story right now,
Btw, can I submit more than one story?

EDIT: LOOOOVE the site! It's amazing! How did you make it?
Also, are you going to check it like a critic(judges the story) or a examiner/teacher(judges grammar, spelling, language style, rhetorical devices and more)?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:14:23 PM by AbdullahTrees »

bricer123

• Donator
  • Banana Muffin Corn Dogs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
Unfortunately, that means I can't submit the book you find at spawn... XD
http://sentinelcraft.net/forum/index.php?topic=5822.0
"Yet there were no events surrounding this."
Salty af

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 11:14:29 PM »
The Being
by SuperSonic14045

Click to read on!

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 11:53:05 PM »
Btw, can I submit more than one story?

The official rules do say that "All SentinelCraft players are eligible to enter a book into the contest...", but it isn't really clear.  I will probably revise the rules a bit soon to add a few more things, including that only one submission per player will be accepted.

Also, are you going to check it like a critic(judges the story) or a examiner/teacher(judges grammar, spelling, language style, rhetorical devices and more)?

I'm not judging at all.  The winner will be decided by popular vote on iridia.org (there's a vote button below the book).  Anyone can vote, as it's not in-game.  So tell people to vote for you!  Voting starts September 20.

The part about me being the final judge is in case something goes majorly wrong, like if someone hacks in a million votes for themselves or something.  If everything goes right, then the winner will be the one with the most votes and I won't have to get involved at all.

The final clause of the rules is purely in case of a major problem, and should not be necessary.

LOOOOVE the site! It's amazing! How did you make it?

I made the site myself for this contest.  I started with only the Minecraft graphics and designed the interactions myself to perfectly mimic Minecraft.  The idea was to emulate reading a book in Minecraft to the point where my interface is identical, and I think I've gotten very close!  It did take several days to make.

I had the idea for this around two months ago, but the main issue was that it would be difficult to get everyone access to all the books to read, so putting them somewhere else out-of-game seemed like the best option.  The other idea was to offer them all out of dispensers in-game, but it would be hard to read them all that way!  I did end up doing both, and you can get free copies of all entries for the duration of the contest at /t spawn iridia, and read them online of course!

Looking forward to your submission!  The prize is already at $2,000 after one day, and remember that all votes also add $100 to the prize, so it'll get up there pretty quick!

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 02:36:41 AM »
Cyrus Horizon
by ExpectedX

Click to read on!

gfrung4

• Donator
    • View Profile