Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter youtube rss

Author Topic: Giving things up for Lent?  (Read 7692 times)

7thMuse

• Donator
    • View Profile
Giving things up for Lent?
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
Not sure how many Catholics we have on here, but I was just curious how many peeps are giving things up for Lent.  I'm not Catholic myself but I obeserve Lent simply because it's a good time to reevaluate some things, therefore I'm giving up red meats for the next 40 days. What about yall?

Kamikoize

• Server Idiot
  • Donator
  • 1 + 1 = 3
    • View Profile
Re: Giving things up for Lent?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
I'm actually Methodist. I plan on giving up computer past 9:30PM EST for Lent.
Also, since this is based primly on religion, lets try not to flame on each other.

EDIT: To get a little more into detail with things, Lent in the Christian religion is supposed to be a time of weeks(depending on if you're Methodist, Catholic, etc.) where you give up something that's been holding you back from God. It could be technology, a certain type of food, money, anything you value more than God. Of course it's not permanent, but you can always make it permanent. Even if you're not Christian, as Muse said, you can just use Lent to reevaluate things. Take a break, I guess. So since I'm giving up staying up late on the computer past 9:30PM for the next few weeks, that's actually kind-of big for me since that's when I'm on the computer the most. Lately I've been getting into a bad habit of staying up late at night watching anime, playing games on the computer, or just browsing what has been going on in the inter-webs. So I'm sure that giving up staying on the computer past 9:30PM should be good for both my health and God, but you can do whatever you want, or just not do it at all. It's not even required that you do it in my church, but I decided to do it anyways.  :D
Thanks for yer time,
-Kamikoize
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:58:54 PM by Kamikoize »
BIG THINGS GET PEOPLES ATTENTION!

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »
Only fish on friday, no meat that day of week.
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.

Kamikoize

• Server Idiot
  • Donator
  • 1 + 1 = 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »
Only fish on friday, no meat that day of week.
Not sure if you understood what I meant, Mig. =[
Lent happens over a period of weeks. Not just one day of the week. You give up something for 3-4 weeks for Lent.
Tch. Portugese people, eh?

Migas

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
Sorry, that's the only thing I know to do this time of the year.

7thMuse

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:08:37 PM »
I'm actually Methodist. I plan on giving up computer past 9:30PM EST for Lent.
Also, since this is based primly on religion, lets try not to flame on each other.

EDIT: To get a little more into detail with things, Lent in the Christian religion is supposed to be a time of weeks(depending on if you're Methodist, Catholic, etc.) where you give up something that's been holding you back from God. It could be technology, a certain type of food, money, anything you value more than God. Of course it's not permanent, but you can always make it permanent. Even if you're not Christian, as Muse said, you can just use Lent to reevaluate things. Take a break, I guess. So since I'm giving up staying up late on the computer past 9:30PM for the next few weeks, that's actually kind-of big for me since that's when I'm on the computer the most. Lately I've been getting into a bad habit of staying up late at night watching anime, playing games on the computer, or just browsing what has been going on in the inter-webs. So I'm sure that giving up staying on the computer past 9:30PM should be good for both my health and God, but you can do whatever you want, or just not do it at all. It's not even required that you do it in my church, but I decided to do it anyways.  :D
Thanks for yer time,
-Kamikoize

Like I said I'm not catholic, I'm about as Protestant as it gets but I love the idea of a 40 day fast.  And it saddens me that you had to put the " lets not flame each other statement.  I'd nape our community was more mature than that

gaintsftw

• Donator
  • Greetings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 07:40:24 PM »
My mother's side is Jewish, and from what my grandmother has told me, Kami is correct. You give up something that has been keeping you from God starting today (March 5) until Good Friday (April 18 this year). What Migas is talking about is in Catholic practicing, you do eat red meat on friday, dont ask me why, I dont remember XD. Interesting Fact: thats the reason restaurants server clam chowder only fridays. I will not giving anything for Lent this year as for I gave up all processed sugar last year, and I would rather not torture myself again, plus Im lazy.

SlackGuitar

• I am watching you 0.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
I am a catholic :P I live in Ireland and I will be giving up sweets such as bars, lollies etc.
But if you were to ask me about Lent I could only tell you a bit :P Even though were doing lent now in religion and last year, and the year before, and before and before.... Ya you get the story :')
Im not a very strong believer though =/

--Slack xD

Varun aka eoyvideoteam

• SentinelCraft FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 12:24:43 AM »
Although I'm not Christian, I still think its a pretty cool happening. I've heard of this event before, but now I think maybe I should participate, as Muse said, to reevaluate some things.
I am an Indian. No, not native american, Indian. So get it straight.
                                                    --Varun

ninja5132

• Server Eye Candy
  • Donator
  • Migas is not mean :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:30:32 AM »
So like Gaints, I am Jewish and have never fully understood this. Kami did a good job explaining, but from what I hear, most people give up stuff like soda or one person told me they were giving up wearing sweat pants. These aren't time consuming and I don't understand, how are thing like that holding you back from G-d?

gaintsftw

• Donator
  • Greetings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »
It really depends on what you think lent is about, giving up things to be a better person, or giving up things to be closer to God. People who stop wearing sweatpants or stop eating chocolate want to be better people, or like stop giving up staying up late so you dont forget to pray at night. It really just depends on what you believe in.

Kamikoize

• Server Idiot
  • Donator
  • 1 + 1 = 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 12:57:13 AM »
Mainly it can be something that you idolize more than God. As I said, for atheists or other religions it could be about reevaluation, or just taking a break from something. As you said, most people give up sodas, chocolate, sweets, or snacking. Sometimes you don't have to give up anything, you can add something. For example, being nicer to people, conserving energy, taking quicker showers. All these could be factored into Lent.

Fedgar_Lurch

• Just Some Guy
  • Founder
  • Hey Guys!
    • View Profile
    • SentinelCraft
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:22 AM »
The Catholics that have explained it best explain it more of a personal sacrifice then anything else.

Just something that every individual can do. Something personal to themselves. Since everyone is different each person has to self examine and decide what is important to them, and what they think will be challenging to give up. Weigh each option and decide what they believe they should give up.

I gave up Catholicism for lent. XD

(That a joke up there, I dont practice Catholicism)
-- Fedgar

7thMuse

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:06:43 AM »
XD ... I've been told it is all about personal sacrifice to realign yourself with God.  But I do it to take a step back and look at my life and see what is possibly killing me

Migas

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
XD ... I've been told it is all about personal sacrifice to realign yourself with God.  But I do it to take a step back and look at my life and see what is possibly killing me

GIVE UP ON GRAVY!