Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter youtube rss

Author Topic: Requesting /top and /near as accessible commands, possibly donator perks  (Read 2261 times)

Artinity

• Donator
    • View Profile
Hey,

I'd like to request two commands that I have found useful in the past. These are already in the game (from Essentials I think), they are just not accessible. I'd love for these to become accessible to players, possibly as donator perks.

First: /top - teleports you upwards to the highest solid block. Handy for getting out of caves, seeing where your beacon beam will pop up, that sort of stuff. Also getting on the roof of the nether (although you could want to disable it in the nether for that).
Second: /near - tells you which players are near, and the distance to them (not sure on the radius).

I care more about /top than /near, and some might argue that the latter interferes with invisibility potions/sneaky pvp. Still, it could be made accessible for x-amount donators.

Anyway, these are just a small quality-of-life improvement imo. Hope (one of) these make it in :)

Oplegoman

• Co-Owner
    • View Profile
I have had may times when i would have made use of /top in some situations as this makes things so much easier at times, but I can see large flaws with it if it was to be implemented within the server. Some of these examples would be;
- Could be used to gain access to peoples bases (would be if it was unclaimed) by digging under it and using /top.
- Could be used to unfairly sneakup on players and obtain an unfair advantage.
- Could be used in a manner of different ways to cheat or obtain access to areaswhich otherwise would have been secure.

As for /near,
- Wouldn't be all that useful unless you are wanting to evade staff or other members when talking about stuff.
- Could be used to obtain an unfair pvp advantage of knowing who is in the area when they are minding their own business. This would be something players would not be able to hide from like we currently can with the dynmap.

I like that you have offered up something for us to consider, but in my personal opinion, i feel that this would cause more harm than good for the quality of life benefits it would offer.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:34:30 PM by Oplegoman »

Artinity

• Donator
    • View Profile
I have had may times when i would have made use of /top in some situations has this makes things so much easier at times, but I can see large flaws with is if it was to be implemented within the server. Some of these examples would be;
- Could be used to gain access to peoples bases (would be if it was unclaimed) by digging under it and using /top.
- Could be used to unfairly sneakup on players and obtain an unfair advantage.
- Could be used in a manner of different ways to cheat or obtain access to areaswhich otherwise would have been secure.
I mostly care about /top, so I'd like to counter these:
- It would put you on their roof (accessible by elytra, and even dirt-pillaring since it is unclaimed)
- Like all other commands, it'd be blocked during pvp. Moreover, don't elytra's (or /fly) give a way better sneakup?
- Again, it would put you on roofs, so all accessible with elytra anyway. Plus if this is a donator perk, it'd (one would hope) exclude most bad faith users in the first place.

Personally speaking I have also used this on a server for years where it was available to all players, and never heard of any problems or misuse.

Oplegoman

• Co-Owner
    • View Profile
- It would put you on their roof (accessible by elytra, and even dirt-pillaring since it is unclaimed)
- Like all other commands, it'd be blocked during pvp. Moreover, don't elytra's (or /fly) give a way better sneakup?
- Again, it would put you on roofs, so all accessible with elytra anyway. Plus if this is a donator perk, it'd (one would hope) exclude most bad faith users in the first place.

Personally speaking I have also used this on a server for years where it was available to all players, and never heard of any problems or misuse.

- Again, alot of builds do not have roofs upon them, builds such as castles, compounds or work in progress builds. Dirt-pillaring on someone elses build would be punishable anyway.
- As for PvP it would be much worse than Elytra's as they are an intended game feature unlike the /top command. As for PvP you will see someone come into land for pvp unlike the /top command in which you would just appear infront/around them.
- Again it would and can be used to cheat in a manner of different ways, its not clear on how this can be done as there are to many minigames and such in which this would be a problem. This hasn't been an feture ever upon the server. It has a nice sentiment but i doubt it would ever be added as for the little gains in Quality of Life it would cause a much bigger headache behind the scences trying to limit and create rules in which it can and cannot be used.

Artinity

• Donator
    • View Profile

- Again, alot of builds do not have roofs upon them, builds such as castles, compounds or work in progress builds. Dirt-pillaring on someone elses build would be punishable anyway.
- As for PvP it would be much worse than Elytra's as they are an intended game feature unlike the /top command. As for PvP you will see someone come into land for pvp unlike the /top command in which you would just appear infront/around them.
- Again it would and can be used to cheat in a manner of different ways, its not clear on how this can be done as there are to many minigames and such in which this would be a problem. This hasn't been an feture ever upon the server. It has a nice sentiment but i doubt it would ever be added as for the little gains in Quality of Life it would cause a much bigger headache behind the scences trying to limit and create rules in which it can and cannot be used.

Mwoah, I feel like you're really pushing it. This has been a stock Essentials command for a decade, elytra's can reach anything, and minigames don't allow commands anyway.
Anyhow, it's not my decision, I have just found it nice and useful in the past and I'd like to be able to use it again.

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile

Mwoah, I feel like you're really pushing it. This has been a stock Essentials command for a decade, elytra's can reach anything, and minigames don't allow commands anyway.
Anyhow, it's not my decision, I have just found it nice and useful in the past and I'd like to be able to use it again.

It's nothing against you, but people always find ways to abuse the commands if they have access. The permissions we currently have are not the same as 7 years ago when we started the server. Not all donators have exemplary behaviour (some were banned, from green to diamond).

Some examples:
   I believe the /near command used to be a server feature a long time ago but was abused to stalk players hidden on dynmap, for example.
   Another example of an abused feature on our server was McMMO in Skyblock. The difference of gameplay of Survival and Skyblock meant that people leveled up faster McMMO skills on Skyblock and simply teleported to mob farms in that world just to level up McMMO. Thus, McMMO is now only enabled in survival and minigames (to promote them).
   Towny outposts are disabled to keep the towns locked in a location. We don't want people claiming random pieces of land around the world and limiting others from finding places for their own town.

In terms of donator perms, we restricted them to a limited list which consists of commands that are cosmetic or easily able to track if someone tries to abuse them.

At the moment, /top is only a staff command and we intend to keep it that way, since /top gives such minimal features compared to other commands we give to donators. Also, you can do it in your base by using elevators, minimizing the need of it. It's not worth the trouble to give it out to 100+ more players of the server. But based on your opinion, this can be a cool idea to give as prize and we will keep that in mind in future events.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:46:45 PM by Migas »
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.