Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter youtube rss

Poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Server Difficulty and other  (Read 5810 times)

Agent_Los

• Donator
    • View Profile
Server Difficulty and other
« on: October 22, 2013, 03:53:15 AM »
I don't know if I am the only one, but back when I was playing a few servers a few versions ago I noticed mob spawn rates were much higher.  ANYWHERE there was light level of 6 or below, a mob would spawn.  I had to make sure I had my houses, bases, etc...very well lit, glowstone here or a torch on the wall in that corner because if I didn't then a mob would spawn and sometimes kill me.  SO far in this server, I have cleared vast areas of land, underground, above ground, made towers, trying to get monster to spawn naturally so I can go hunting with my pack of dogs...but man I get like 1 or 3 spawns tops. 

My next point, having the server difficulty harder, or higher spawn rates if they are turned down for some reason, creates a sense of immersion.  Immersing one into the game, where if you are building or digging around your base and there is low light, you either better have your torches being placed, or checking your back for spawns.  That gives a sense of excitability, not knowing a skele will spawn and shoot the hell out of you and kill you or not. 

I feel this request should be sincerely considered and reviewed.  This is not a game-breaking plug-in request or anything that would affect peoples play to a sever extent.  The peaceful players who are builders and possibly younger kids that just like to build, would not be affected if they take 1 second and put a stack of torches in their inventory, or learn to wait till daytime to go out gathering flowers, lily pads, wood, etc...however it would satisfy gamers that like to be adventurous, actually have to gear up to go out gathering if someone was serious about not dying. 

Also, I would like Fedgar to reconsider the safe death system, I actually hate being babied and not ever losing anything...the balance between risk/reward is absent in this game.  There is never a risk, and only reward.  "Hmmmm to try and place blocks down across lava to mine that gold ore...or pass it up, decides to mine gold ore, but then is shot by a skele and falls in lava!...but wait I dont ever lose my diamond armor, enchanted bows, swords, pics, shovels, or mined ores...so no biggie" I would rather fall in the lava and lose half my items or all of em, and be pissed but LEARN a lesson and try to become better. 

TLDR: No read the post, dont be a lazyass...

-Los 
(I prolly left some viewpoints out or ideas but ohwell...I will post again soon)

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Server Difficulty and other
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:58:16 AM »
I don't understand what you mean about low quantity of mob spawns... I'm already flooded everyday by mobs everywhere
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.

Richgotya

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
yeah spawn rate is normal in fact i usually have 50+ mobs chasing me i wouldnt mind seeing game on hard tho

Meteora

• Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
Bro if ja want more mobs, buy some spawners and egg.s  :D
Hear my howl, feel my steel,
My objection is clear, My objective - near,
To take your crown, to burn your place,
There's no room for you in my palace

Agent_Dilontro7

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
I would definitely agree with this post, hopefully if the lose items on death request becomes active it might bring more PVP to the server and help players become more aware of their surroundings.

Agent_Los

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »
Migas, I will have to invite you to check out the multiple NATURAL (Metheorita: I have more spawners than I know what to do with) areas that my friends and I have built and we get hardly any spawns.  However, if spawn rates are Normal, then I agree there is nothing to be done. 

My next point though, and the most important one to consider, is the notion of switching the game from Normal to Hard.  Do not get held up on the spawn rates...going from Normal to Hard may even increase spawn rates...IDK, but the idea of Hard game mode clearly sits well with a lot of people.  It will make people think twice before leaving a town or their houses, which may be off putting at first if they are not used to it, but with time learning to take torches, or enough food so they don't starve to death will be fun. 

WazBlaz

• Don't Judge by mistakes. Give second chances
    • View Profile
    • ]HeLL[
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
I do see your point but the server isn't about pvp and fighting, it's a about the community. Changing from normal to hard will put some new players off the server as this server is unique for the freedom of the wild. I do agree that there is no survival worry about the server as you do not loose anything when you die. It would be cool if you loose experience and some cash depending on the death you died by but you still keep your items. Eg: you die in pvp combat you loose 10th experience levels and 100$.
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

Winston Churchill

Meteora

• Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »
Lol waz's idea is good but I like the server as it is now.  :)
Hear my howl, feel my steel,
My objection is clear, My objective - near,
To take your crown, to burn your place,
There's no room for you in my palace

7thMuse

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:59:33 AM »
I like what Waz has suggested..keep the items but lose the experience.  All the experience should be lost though. A monetary punishment is good too

Agent_Los

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »
The only difference between Normal and Hard is that mobs are slightly stronger and you need to eat food to make sure you keep your health up.  Most players, if they have been playing online are used to this setting.  Even new players may have been playing on Hard mode before they started online.  You cannot say that this will drive new players away.  With that said, for those who just like building, or want some sort of protection from the Wild, that is the reason this server has the Towny plugin.  To give a designated plot for people to build on with protection of that town...usually with Mobs turned off and pvp turned off. 

Directly from our own servers advertisement:
Rules:

"Welcome to SentinelCraft!

SentinelCraft is a bukkit server that started in May 2013. The server has very active and mature staff with years of experience and a dedicated player base. We have a well defined rule set to keep your time here friendly, enjoyable and fun! To ensure everyone reads and understands the rules we make that the first thing you must do when you join the server.

- No Griefing
- PVP is allowed
- No Cheating
- No Trespassing
- No Disrespect
- No Bug Exploitation"

If PvP was not meant to be part of this game, or attract players that enjoy some harmless PvPing then they would not have stated PvP is allowed.  In fact, PvPing does embrace a community like setting, my last server my buddies and I were in an epic battle with this other town...you know what that did, it urged us to play more, to organize attacks with other members of the servers who were also their enemies.  I can still remember their names...Lazyboy and Blob96 lol.  I hated them at first, but ended up teaming up with them down the road to fight other people. 

Anyways, the server also states it has active and mature staff, that does not mean we need to be babied and have the mode set on normal, and never lose items.  I believe losing items (not all, just a chance at losing random items in your inventory) is essential because XP or Money can be manipulated, i can just deposit all my money into the town bank, and never have xp by enchanting books and then go around killing people, killing people, and killing more people because what do I have to lose....nothing, but If i may lose stuff in my inventory, then I would think twice about fighting/pvping someone and possibly losing my inventory to them. 

"Changing from normal to hard will put some new players off the server as this server is unique for the freedom of the wild. I do agree that there is no survival worry about the server as you do not loose anything when you die." 

How can you project that if the server goes Hard mode, players will up and quit, that is a wild guess thrown out there.  In their advertisement, this server is SURVIVAL, when I found this server a month ago, or less...and it did not allow PvP, and it was not survival, I know for a fact my friends and I would not have joined, thus the server would not be receiving monthly donations from us.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1976671-new-bukkit-server-sentinelcraft/ Here is how I found this server in the first place, and what I am using as proof, that it should be survival based...meaning death, and loss of items...a lot of similarities to vanilla minecraft, and pvp is allowed and apart of the community.

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
... for those who just like building, or want some sort of protection from the Wild, that is the reason this server has the Towny plugin.  To give a designated plot for people to build on with protection of that town...usually with Mobs turned off and pvp turned off.  [...] In fact, PvPing does embrace a community like setting, my last server my buddies and I were in an epic battle with this other town...you know what that did, it urged us to play more, to organize attacks with other members of the servers who were also their enemies.

Some people don't like to be limited to an 16x16 area. They like to build big and have freedom of space. Also, belonging to a town may include taxes, follow specific town rules and also they have to adapt to any changes that their mayors do.
We want to incentivate friendly interaction between players, being that the main reason that Towny plugin is on our server.
You also talk about Nation Wars. You talk about fighting other towns and stuff... but I've never seen you creating a war between another town, since you feel like that's the way you like playing with towny. In fact, you don't even have a town yet.

Anyways, the server also states it has active and mature staff, that does not mean we need to be babied and have the mode set on normal, and never lose items.
We have been waiting a long time (around 1 or 2 months) for an answer from the plugin developper that controls pvp drops. To prevent any problems with the plugin, Staff decided to not allow any drops from PvP. To be honest with you, We have everything planned already, We have it all balanced and noted on paper but since more important things have showned up, Staff didn't have time to check the plugin and set it to how we want. So I ask you to think about your innoportune comment again - "does not mean we need to be babied" .

How can you project that if the server goes Hard mode, players will up and quit, that is a wild guess thrown out there.  In their advertisement, this server is SURVIVAL, when I found this server a month ago, or less...and it did not allow PvP, and it was not survival, I know for a fact my friends and I would not have joined, thus the server would not be receiving monthly donations from us.
I agree with you, I don't think updgrading from Normal to Hard doesn't imply losing people. I don't mind if it upgrades. However, I didn't understand the 2nd part of your sentence. What do you mean "it did not allow PvP, and it was not survival"? PvP was always allowed. However, It's not the main focus on our server. In fact, We have some minigames that are enjoyable and fun that include PvP, if you're interested.

In conclusion, I like to see people discussing this. It is good for the server, and for it to improve.
Staff has a lot of things to do at the moment. Of course We want our players to have fun and enjoy our server, however, at this moment, there are more important things to work on than this subject.
I think if you have some patience, You'll see some changes on Death Control, as i say above.
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.

Agent_Los

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
Some people don't like to be limited to an 16x16 area. They like to build big and have freedom of space. Also, belonging to a town may include taxes, follow specific town rules and also they have to adapt to any changes that their mayors do.
We want to incentivate friendly interaction between players, being that the main reason that Towny plugin is on our server.
You also talk about Nation Wars. You talk about fighting other towns and stuff... but I've never seen you creating a war between another town, since you feel like that's the way you like playing with towny. In fact, you don't even have a town yet.

Migas....no kidding I do not have a town yet, I just recently joined the server.  Belonging to a Town and creating one...creating one that is actually worthy of being called a Town is different.  That was an example on another server.  Also, yeah why would someone need to make a town anyways....just light up your area well enough so nothing spawns.  Hard Mode only changes how hard monsters hit you...and you have to eat...

We have been waiting a long time (around 1 or 2 months) for an answer from the plugin developper that controls pvp drops. To prevent any problems with the plugin, Staff decided to not allow any drops from PvP. To be honest with you, We have everything planned already, We have it all balanced and noted on paper but since more important things have showned up, Staff didn't have time to check the plugin and set it to how we want. So I ask you to think about your innoportune comment again - "does not mean we need to be babied" .
Inopportune, I feel it is just my honest opinion so I wont hide that...the more the admins/owner knows what their players think about the server and different aspects of it the better the server will be in the long run even if it is something you do not want to hear.  I like that you guys have plans, and I understand with Bukkit you have to wait for plugins and bukkit to update to the new patches or developers to fix their plugins, so it is nice to know things are planned to balance the server a little, and add consequence. 

I didn't understand the 2nd part of your sentence. What do you mean "it did not allow PvP, and it was not survival"? PvP was always allowed. However, It's not the main focus on our server.

If meant, if I saw in the advertisement PvP was not allowed, and there wern't any survival aspects to this game then my friends and I would not be here.  We like PvP...not all the members do but some do, and we like survival.  Which right now, again IN MY HONEST OPINION, there is not much of a survival aspect to this server...BUT as you said be patient and wait for changes...which I am willing to do.  I am acknowledging your post and appreciate your response. 

Current Poll Stats: 8 Votes in some form for changing Normal to Hard, and 5 against.  I feel that should count for something too as that is my main focus with this whole topic  It should at least be given a chance...

Thanks for reading and thinking it over...
LOS