Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter youtube rss

Author Topic: MUSIC: Eurovision Song Contest 2017  (Read 3406 times)

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
MUSIC: Eurovision Song Contest 2017
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »
Eurovision Song Contest 2017
Music Article

Eurovision 2017 logo

KIEV, UKRAINE - The biggest festival of music in Europe is coming soon! Eurovision 2017 will start on May 9 and the rehearsals will start soon too. On this article we will let you know about some of the songs and who is predicted to win! We will also tell you about the biggest flops of the event.

Eurovision is one of the biggest music competitions in the world. This event was first hosted in 1956 and since then it has modernized and won the love of almost all of Europe. This year the event is going to be hosted in Ukraine, the last year's winner. Initially, there were going to be 43 countries to participate. However, Russia withdrew for their reasons and the other 42 countries will still go to the music event.

Countries in Eurovision 2017

This year, Eurovision has seen the return of Portugal and Romania to the contest, which shows that these countries have not forgotten the event.

The songs this year were selected on the previous months before the event. All of them have been selected by now and we are going to tell you below which are the possible winners and the biggest disappointments.

Possible winners:

Bulgaria
Bulgaria is one of the big surprises this year. Bringing a young singer to the stage, the ballad that is going to Eurovision stands out from the rest, mainly due to its simplicity. Bulgaria will perform in the second semifinal and will probably stand out among its competitors, easily qualifying to the final. Placed high on the betting odds, and after getting 4th last year, Bulgaria is likely getting another high position this year on the final too.

Kristian Kostov will sing Beautiful Mess for Bulgaria this year

Belgium
After two strong years in the contest, Belgium is hitting strong this year too! Their song follows the radio trends of 2017 and the sonority is modern and similar to famous other global songs. Even though Belgium has an unique song, Belgium's singer live performances have disappointed the Eurovision community and the country actually got their betting odds lowered. Nevertheless, it's a huge candidate for the win. Belgium is going to perform in the 1st semifinal.

Blanche will sing City Lights for Belgium

Sweden
Sweden is one of the countries with the most wins in the competition, just behind Ireland, and recently won twice. For this reason, and due to the high quality of the songs throughout the years, Sweden is always considered a candidate to win, specially when they send catchy songs like this year. However, this year's song doesn't match previous ones and is considered weaker, comparing to them. Even though, they are a certain semifinal 1 qualifier, and it's highly possible that Sweden will reach at least top 5 this year. 

Sweden is sending Robin Bengtsson with the song I Can't Go On

Portugal
Portugal has always been an underrated country in Eurovision. The best place ever was a 6th place in more than 40 eurovision editions. However, against the usual odds for the country, it is considered the biggest surprise of this year's edition. Portugal has sent a vintage ballad to the competition, something unique in the 2017's edition, which lacked to the contest for many years. It is predicted to do amazing with the jury vote, but will it catch the public vote too? The tendecy from previous years is... no. But it can change this year as the country has good odds to qualify from Semifinal 1 because it is the only non-english song there, which makes the song stand out. It also holds 4th place betting odds for the big final.

Amar pelos Dois will be sung by Salvador Sobral for Portugal

Italy
Considered by the majority of the Eurovision community as the most possible winner of this year's edition, Italy has sent a catchy song to the contest. Italy is part of the Big Five, which means they are automatic qualifiers to the final, however, they are still placed 1st on all of the betting odds. The italian song is likely going to receive a lot of points from both the jury and the vote. The great reviews are mainly based on the total package of the song: great singer, catchy dance, modern sonority, and, usually, Italy has good final positions. It just needs a great stage in the final to conquer the win this year.

Occidentali's Karma is the italian song for 2017, sung by Francesco Gabbani

Before mentioning the biggest disappointments, there should be a honorable mention to Romania, Finland, Netherlands, Hungary, and Czech Republic for bringing different genres and sonorities to the event. Without diversity, this event would lack excitement.

Biggest disappointments:

Slovenia
Slovenia is considered by most of the Eurovision community has the weakest country this year. With a good selection in their national final, the country chose one of the poorest choices for the contest. The only hope for them is the jury vote as, statistically, Slovenia has poor public vote results in Eurovision. Slovenia's song is in Semifinal 1, which is filled with ballads, including Portugal and Finland, which are definitely better ones and that will probably receive more points from the jury votes than them. Is the song doomed to stay in the semifinals? Probably yes.

Omar Naber sings On My Way for Slovenia this year

Lithuania
Like Slovenia, Lithuania's national final had potential. However, their choice was not wise. Lithuania is sending an experimental song, which is considered by most as very confusing. They will perform in the second semifinal and they will probably not qualify, after reaching Top 10 last year.

Lithuania's Fusedmarc will sing Rain of Revolution

Malta
In a year full of ballads, Malta probably has sent the weakest one, among with Slovenia. The song doesn't stand out among the others and will probably be forgotten in semifinal 2. However, their only hope is to rely on the good vocals of the singer to conquer points through the jury.

Malta will send Claudia Faniello with the song Breathlessly

Croatia

Another big flop this year. Having huge success previous years, Croatia has sent this year a different song that did not work. The song is considered by most very confusing, despite the vocal power of the singer. The song may qualify on Semifinal 2 but it is a borderline qualifier, which is not something expected from Croatia.

My Friend is the croatian song, sung by Jacques Houdek

Germany

Recently winner of Eurovision, Germany has not send any big hits since then. Last in the final in the two previous years, they might do the same this year and break the record for doing it three times in a row. Even though that, personally, the song isn't bad, it also doesn't stand out and is even considered a copycat of Titanium from David Guetta. Since Germany is a Big Five member, they automatically qualify to the final which means that they will encounter the top choices from both semifinals that day, making it worse for the germans.

Levina sings Perfect Life and is the representant from Germany

This list was made based on personal opinions. Everyone has their own judgement of the songs and that's what makes the contest special. The decisions are only made on the days of the event and, until then, a lot can change. Make sure tune your television on May 9 (Semfinal 1), May 11 (Semifinal 2), and May 13 (Final) and support your favourite songs... or just watch for fun!

Other interesting articles for you:
SentinelCraft Magazine - March Edition! - Written by CalvinPigeon (26/03/2017)
SentinelCraft Magazine - February Edition! - Written by CalvinPigeon (25/02/2017)
SentinelCraft Magazine - January Edition! - Written by CalvinPigeon (29/01/2017)

This article was written by: migas94
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:28:17 PM by Migas »
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.

HvPanda

• HvJoeri
  • Donator
  • Start the day with a smile.
    • View Profile
    • Discord
Re: MUSIC: Eurovision Song Contest 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:57:39 PM »
My personal favo is Isaiah I hope he wins with Don't come easy. (Australia) https://youtu.be/RiXEMYUqa3w

Maybe I gonna watch it this year. most of those songs I only lissen becoase they reach Spotify top 100

Good article :D
Market
<a href="https://discord.gg/SpFtGavvQr">
Shops & Mobs

Aureus Lunae

• Donator
  • An arrow of the Moonbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:12:50 AM »
On vacation when it happens.
Part of The Hosters

There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentleman.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

So don't mess with me!

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
Portugal
Portugal has always been an underrated country in Eurovision. The best place ever was a 6th place in more than 40 eurovision editions. However, against the usual odds for the country, it is considered the biggest surprise of this year's edition. Portugal has sent a vintage ballad to the competition, something unique in the 2017's edition, which lacked to the contest for many years. It is predicted to do amazing with the jury vote, but will it catch the public vote too? The tendecy from previous years is... no. But it can change this year as the country has good odds to qualify from Semifinal 1 because it is the only non-english song there, which makes the song stand out. It also holds 4th place betting odds for the big final.

Amar pelos Dois will be sung by Salvador Sobral for Portugal

I am sorry for the bump, but since the Eurovision song contest ended yesterday, I will leave you with the winning song. And as a proud portuguese, I am glad that our first win was this year, with pure music that contrasts with the usual pop culture that surrounds the contest. The song ended up conquering the public and jury, asking for a change on Eurovision. Does it conquer you too? Watch the live performance on the link I quote above :). I hope you enjoy the song ;).
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.