Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter youtube rss

Author Topic: The change  (Read 33514 times)

Fedgar_Lurch

• Just Some Guy
  • Founder
  • Hey Guys!
    • View Profile
    • SentinelCraft
The change
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:51:15 PM »
1.10 / 1.11 Update

Alright friends, so since there has been a lot of talk around the water cooler... cauldron, I figure I will dispel some rumors.

Now, our general policy is to update as soon as we have a stable version that doesn't sacrifice any of our functionality. Sometimes this can take a while as the plugin authors are not the most diligent at updating plugins. We have spent a lot of time looking into the current plugin situation, and the jump from 1.8 to 1.9 or 1.10 is substantial. A lot of plugins that we have been using for years are simply dead. There is no more support, or if there is it is spotty at best.

Based on this, we have been considering a new path.

We are thinking of opening a new chapter in SentinelCraft history, but we want to know how everyone feels about it.
One of the biggest hold-ups, is towny. It has been buggy for the last two builds and it has yet to be updated past 1.9. To put it plainly it is a dying plugin. Unfortunately getting rid of it with our current situation is impossible. So we have tried to come up with the best possible alternative. Here is what we have come up with:

First we would remove towny, but in order to do that, we would need a system to protect things that had already been built, since there isn't a way to integrate any of the more modern protection plugins, that was our first hurdle. So we thought, what about a new world? One without chunk errors, without depreciated regions and fewer and fewer new areas to explore. So we settled on a new world, but to get rid of Pern would pain me greatly, as I have spent innumerable hours building there. So I want to keep Pern, but as something different. I want to turn it into a mausoleum of sorts. A place to explore and visit, where we can create landmarks for people to visit, see what others before us have built.

With this idea of a new world, it seemed best to clean things out entirely. Start a clean slate, McMMO, Inventory, Money, Economy, Everything. This would set a clean slate for everyone, I know that for some of us that have been around for a long time that sounds terrible, but after thinking about it for a while, it has started to grow on me. Its kind of exciting to think of the new challenges that come with starting over. For those players that are starting currently, catching up to the powerhouse players in McMMo is basically impossible, same with the economy. With a fresh start, we all have the same opportunity to be the number one player. This would also give the opportunity to allow people to reinvent themselves. Everyone would be allowed to change their names during this transition (cracked and premium alike)

We haven't yet hashed out all the details, we have just looked into which plugins are dead, and worked to find plugins to replace things. This gives us an opportunity to add new plugins, features, and ideals to the server that we previously wouldn't have been able to. We can choose a new name for the world(s) you can suggest new plugins and features, we will revise the rules based on your feedback.

This is your server, and as a community, we can make it whatever we decide.

Here is a list of the proposed changes:

-   Preserve Pern as a mausoleum world. (No editing, just visiting)
-   Remove towny
-   Add Protection plugin
-   Revise rules accordingly
-   Reset Economy and rebuild with new features (Global Market, new shops plugin possibly)
-   Add Quest/adventure aspects (Something we have wanted to do for a while)
-   Add new McMMO features
-   Re-enable stats tracking (highscores and such, for bragging rights)
-   Find new plugin for clans/tribes/groups/parties (possibly)
-   Your suggestions here _____

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:42:24 PM by Fedgar_Lurch »
-- Fedgar

Fedgar_Lurch

• Just Some Guy
  • Founder
  • Hey Guys!
    • View Profile
    • SentinelCraft
Re: The change
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
A poll will be forthcoming where we can vote on things. I wanted to give everyone a chance to think about this and discuss it.

Please, post any questions or suggestions here on on SM chat on skype, we want to hear from everyone. At this point we are just brainstorming and there are no bad ideas when you are brain storming. Lets hear what you have to say.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:41:00 PM by Fedgar_Lurch »
-- Fedgar

Shay

• Donator
  • Its better to try and fail, than fail to try!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »
If we were to start over, would donors lose their money benefits?
I believe success is earned by failure, one who has never failed, has never tried <3
الفشل يؤدي إلى النجاح!

plerp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »
I don't think 1.9 would be bad, but I love Sentinelcraft the way  it is, and what about the whole towns?
A fresh start would be cool and all but i really don't know which I would prefer.
The biggest question is that since Sentinelcraft is a Towny server, what will we do? So at this point I Vote to not change.
Though my decision may change if some good suggestions for the future are given.

Fedgar_Lurch

• Just Some Guy
  • Founder
  • Hey Guys!
    • View Profile
    • SentinelCraft
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »
Donors would keep other perks, but the economy is being reset. So any money on this server stays where it is. That is only fair.

And it would not be towny, but it would be Towny in spirit. Basically they Towny plugin is dead, and there isnt a good replacement that we can find. So we will make a system where everyone's builds are protected and allow people to work together. (Which is what towny is about in essence.)
-- Fedgar

Shay

• Donator
  • Its better to try and fail, than fail to try!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
Would this protection cover pvp too? Or will the server be made survival?
I believe success is earned by failure, one who has never failed, has never tried <3
الفشل يؤدي إلى النجاح!

Fedgar_Lurch

• Just Some Guy
  • Founder
  • Hey Guys!
    • View Profile
    • SentinelCraft
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »
The server is already survival. And yes protection would cover PvP
We have some interesting ideas for PVP actually.
-- Fedgar

plerp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
Its only been a few hours and after think i have changed my vote to yes be cause 1.9 brings my favorite enchantment, MENDING!!!
I still think that if you update past 1.9 add 1.9 compatibility.

Epicnata

• Donator
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
this actually sounds really cool to be able to visit the old world still. im a little sad about my mcmmo which ive worked hard to get to the top but at least now i can have some good competition with migas/rich and all the others that we're high leveled. either way im looking forward to this
An object cannot make you good or evil. The temptation of power, forbidden knowledge, eve the desire to do good can lead some down that path/. But only you can change yourself

Fedgar_Lurch

• Just Some Guy
  • Founder
  • Hey Guys!
    • View Profile
    • SentinelCraft
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »
Thats what I was thinking Epic. And glad to have your support Plerp
-- Fedgar

Frostemort

• Donator
  • "Something Cool."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »
I support this 100% because Zweerd will have to build the castle all over again.

On a serious note though I'm on board with this because everytime I logged on I felt there was absolutely nothing for me to do other than catching up with friends, for me personally I think this will make the server ALOT more fun and interesting. Just my opinion though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:35:07 PM by Frostemort »
Yes. I was born on April Fools.

Dankshadow1001

• Donator
  • R.I.P Lionmart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »
I find it comforting that pern remains. Im also curious on how a fresh start will be. I think it will be interesting. Of course i won't find it easy to restart but i think it will be interesting. The thing im the most worried about (to be honest) are my builds, but seeing as pern remains, they remain, and i can live with that.

plerp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »
I just realized you cant have my support if you don't make it at least 1.9 compatible, because i know you can have it 1.10 with 1.9 compatibility. I say this because my computer wont run 1.10+ I always get "failed to write core dump" and then i have to redo my whole .minecraft folder, to even play 1.9  and below again. so yeah...

Gelanor

• Donator
  • That's Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 07:49:45 PM »
Can we get a 1.8 pvp plugin?
Don't Ask, Just Tell...

Migas

• Founder
  • I am Migas, the Portuguese Guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 07:51:38 PM »
Can we get a 1.8 pvp plugin?

Suggest it in the plugin suggestion board.
Dedication is a key factor to reach your goals.